Our Chapter's Fast Facts
Imagine the power of a wish come true. Imagine in the midst of hospitals, tests, treatments, anxiety, and fear, children and their families can share a time of hope, a time of creating happy memories that will help them through difficult times.
Make-A-Wish® South Dakota is a 501(c)(3)
non-profit organization. Since 1984,
Make-A-Wish® South Dakota has been making wishes come true for South Dakota children facing critical illnesses. We are a chartered chapter with the Make-A-Wish Foundation® of America, the world’s largest wish granting organization. Each year, Make-A-Wish® grants thousands of wishes to children around the world.
- Make-A-Wish South Dakota is governed by a statewide board of directors.
- Our main office is in Sioux Falls and we have a full-time staff of eight. In November 2012 we opened a Black Hills Office in Rapid City to better serve the western part of the state.
- Last fiscal year we granted a record-breaking 80 wishes. This year we project to fulfill that same amount of wishes. We have granted more than 1,400 wishes since 1984.
- The average cost of a wish is nearly $7,200.
- Volunteers are the foundation of our organization. More than 250 volunteers help us to make wishes come true.
- Locally, 83 percent of every dollar donated goes to granting a wish. Gifts given in South Dakota stay in our state to help make wishes come true.
- Financial contributions are tax deductible. Please consult with your financial advisor to determine the extent of tax deductibility.